Application Instructions for First-time Applicants
First-time Application Instructions
The First-time Application is meant for students who have never received the Edwards Scholarship. If you applied previously but did not receive the scholarship, you should complete the First-time Application. Use this page as a check-list to make sure that you submit all documents by the due dates. Please note: the application cycle for 2013-2014 has closed. Applications are no longer being accepted. Apply for 2014-2015 beginning in January, 2014. New application material and instructions will be posted.
Submit the following documents, postmarked no later than March 15:
- Edwards First-time Scholarship Application
Apply on-line using the link below or use the downloadable application form. Please apply on-line if possible.
- Copy of your processed Federal Student Aid Report (SAR), all pages
- Two letters of recommendation
- One should be from your guidance or college counselor..
- One should be from a teacher in an academic area such as math, English, science, social studies, foreign language.
If you are in college now, submit recommendations from two professors or a professor and a dean or academic advisor.
(Click on Tab called “Recommendation” at the top of this page for information and the form.)
- Official Transcript
- High school students entering college in the fall: official high school transcript
- College students: official high school transcript and college transcript
- Graduate students: official undergraduate college transcript, official graduate school transcript
- Copy of SAT, ACT, or TOEFL scores if you took one of these tests: copy does not have to be official.
- Copy of your GED score report if you took the GED
Submit the following documents, postmarked no later than May 1:
- Copy of parent’s or guardian’s Federal Income Tax Return for 2012, all pages (if required to file)
- Copy of your (student’s) Federal Income Tax Return for 2012 (if required to file)
- Copy of your College Financial Statement for 2013-2014 showing your financial aid at the college that you plan to attend in the fall. If your college costs are shown on a separate page, please include that page.
If you apply on-line, you will receive instructions on submitting other documents on-line. Certain documents, however, must always be mailed: official transcript from the high school or college, recommendations, and copies of tax returns.
To apply on-line, click the First-time Application here.
If you cannot apply on-line, you may use the PDF Application below. Also, even if you are going to apply on-line, you can use the PDF to see the instructions for the Personal Essay, a very important part of the application. Hint: do a rough draft of the essay, refine it, and proofread it. Then go to the on-line version.